Skips Musings/Ramblings

Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
Forum rules
Noob (and not Noob) Stuff
Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
skip2a

Skips Musings/Ramblings

Post by skip2a » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello all:

I'm not sure where I should post this so I chose here. If there is a more appropriate place please let me know.

Well I have been back in the game for about a month and a half and I am getting a little better. I still do a lot of stupid shit (driving off a cliff to try to help my son survive a battle below) and trying to play French lites (I just can’t seem to get the hang of them).

I did complete my missions and managed to get a STuG IV; it is one of my favorite historical vehicles.

I bought a Primo Victoria because I love Sabaton and will be seeing them live for the 3rd time in November. Yes: I'm a 50+ year old metal head \l l/ Took my son to see Maiden last month; I was only about 3 years older than he is now when I saw them for the first time back in 82. He figured out that we have seen 28 bands over the last 18 months or so.

I bought the T10 back and I’m working towards the 277.

I got to the T34-85 in my grind to the 140. I hate the 34-85 and I’m not sure what the deal is with me. I've watches lots of "how great it is" videos but I just can’t seem to get the hang of it. I’m about 15k away from the T43.

I'm about ready to give up on the Swedish TD and Med lines: I have both V vehicles with a passion. I'm trying to stick it out but getting demolished every game sucks.

I hate the British heavy line and don't think that is going to happen. The Churchill is no fun (I like my premium one but the regular one isn't very enjoyable to play). I don't think I can deal with the III and the Black Prince. I hate to waste all of my free XP trying to get through them.

I got the “boom stick” on my Jgdtiger and I like it much better. I still have issues with the size of it and getting swarmed by multiple tanks if I peak out too far. You need very large bushes to hide it; knocking down trees works but it also invites a lot of blind shots because there are suspicious knocked down trees where shots are coming from. I tried playing it as a brawler as in a video I saw and that doesn’t work well. I will follow my son in his T95 and do well shooting over him. I am about ¼ of the way to the JgPz E 100.

Started grinding to the T95 so I can platoon with my son and piss people off with two of them together.

My computer is about dead; I’m working with a neighbors kid that is a computer major in college to select the parts and build a new one. Hopefully I will be able to get something better in the very near future.

Is the E 50 M or the Leopard 1 worth getting? I need a higher tier lite to do missions and I can grind to the IX in either of those lines. I have the Indien-Pz and love its accuracy but I have a very poor win record in it. I can buy back the Panther II if the E 50 M is a better choice. I do have VIII and IX BC's but really dislike them and always seem to get killed to quick.

I have noticed that MM is worse now then I remember it being. Most nights while playing with my son in a platoon we see terrible matches. We can go for hours without a win it seems. We are usually both the last ones left on our team and we just can’t overcome the 7 or 8 vs 2 odds to turn the battle around.

I’m always up for platoons if anyone is interested. Just PM me in game. I was staying in the Looking for Platoon channel but never seemed to have anyone come in. Now I just hang in the solo pub channel. My computer has issues so I run TS on my speakers instead of my headset when playing with TS running in the background. I check for messages in there periodically. I am hoping the new computer eliminates some of these problems.

Does the clan still do Thursday night events?

I’ve got decent VI and VIII’s for strongholds but I’m not sure how to get in a battle.

I'm hoping with the new computer and the addition of some new X's I can get into some CW battles this Fall/Winter.

Hope I didn’t ramble on too much.

Skip

Rubicite

Re: Skips Musings/Ramblings

Post by Rubicite » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Skip,

A lot of what I'm about to say is my opinion, so please take it as such.

1. The on-going Scavenger Hunt will give 40K of experience on a tank that you are grinding (assuming you have been following along). 40K is a lot of experience that you won't have to grind.
2. Working towards the Obj 277 is great since that tank is in demand for virtually all maps. It's fast and hard hitting, but doesn't have the best armor.
3. Personally, I liked the T-34-85 much more than the T-43, although the T-44 is a hull-down beast.
4. The E 50M and Leo I are not considered the best Tier 10 medium tanks. Having said that, many people enjoy them in pub matches. I have the Leo PTA and I'm working on the Leo I since it recently got buffed. The Leo PTA was my very first Tier 9 tank but I hated it. I didn't touch it at all for probably two years or more. However, I've recently started playing it again and I'm really liking it. I also have the E 50 but just haven't played it very much and I'm in no hurry to get the E 50M.
5. The Swedish TD line are snipers. Find a spot that you think will get some traffic and hide behind bushes (at least 15 meters to get the camo benefit. That means the bushes are blocking your view and you have to rely on others to spot the tanks for you while you shoot through the bushes. If you don't have spotters, you can move forward enough to make the bushes transparent, spot a tank, AND THEN BACK UP to shoot him. Backing up will put you back into concealment.
6. I enjoyed the British HT line, although I admit (1) they slow as molasses and (2) I shoot premium ammo almost all the time from Tiers 5 - 8. Because they are slow, it's even more important to drive where you think the action will occur. If you guess wrong, you are out of position and unable to influence the battle.
7. Platoon matchmaking is going to suck much of the time. It's very,. very rare when I see a platoon as top tier (actually, I can't remember the last time).
8. Because we're running Clan Wars every night until the season ends next Thursday, we're not doing any night time events.
9. You can play Strongholds either with D-Day or as a legionnaire with another clan. Either way, you earn "boxes" for the clan. You start out by clicking the "Strongholds" tab in the garage.

skip2a

Post by skip2a » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:06 am

Rubicite:

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been following the codes and have to decide where to use the credits.

I have gotten to the MT-25 Soviet light trying to get to the T-100 LT. I do ok in it but I'm still not used to playing a light. I've been watching videos and doing better but I still find myself thinking I can do more than I should in that class of tank. Through Twitch I received a VIII Chinese light for a two week rental and have been enjoying playing it; much more my style than the French ones. I'll keep concentrating on the 277, 140 and LT to make sure I have one decent X then try to figure out which ones I enjoy playing.

It sucks that what was popular and needed in 2012 for CW is now outdated and unwanted at that tier now. I'm playing catch up after a long hiatus.

See ya,

Skip

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm

We don't do Thrus night stuff while Clan Wars is going on.
And I've been less active recently, so it more an occasional thing.

SHs... next to the battle button (on the right) is a pull down.
Select SH, then tier 6 or 8.
Also Frontline is going on. That is fun if you haven't done it yet.
Make sure you crew up all your tier 8s before hitting battle.

I free XP'd to the Conq.
The Super Conq is great, I really enjoy that tank. I hear the Black Prince makes people want to cut themselves.

German tier 10 MTs are power-creeped IMHO.

277 and IS-7 are very good and the Obj-257 is a fun grind.
I had less fun in the 110, but not terrible.

I don't do well in any LT, but the French AMX 12t. 13-75 and 13-57 were fun.
I enjoy the burst of autoloaders.

I def recommend the 34-85 for SHs.
Als platoon up with someone who has one.
It's bouncey if angled right.
Can reverse side-scrape.
And has a big gun.
Mind the commanders copula!

STuG IV and Hetzer are slower than they should be, me thinks.

Do not worry about win / loss. You are less than 10% of the consideration in that regard.

The game is all about overmatch.
- 3 on 1 is good.
- Big gun against little gun is good.
- Heavy armor against light armor is good.
- Front against ass is good.

Just do well in the fight you are in and don't be afraid to find a different fight it you're is a bad one.\

I heard Sabaton got in an car accident recently...
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Also, I found that the BC's excel the 2nd half of the game when most of the enemies are 1/2 health and you can em kill quick and run away while clipping. Then you play clean-up.

I try to passive scout and counter scout 1st half of the game.

skip2a

Post by skip2a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am

MDM:

Thanks for the feedback!

I bought the T-10 back and I am working my way slowly to the 277. I am really out of sync with the T-10 but should get back into the swing of it after a few dozen games. I didn't mind it grinding to the IS7 but that was 6 or 7 years ago.

Working up the soviet light line to try to get a decent high level light tank. I really suck big time with them but the more I play the more I learn and I am starting to figure out just what I did wrong the second I do it now and die, lol. The MT 25 is giving me some good games but also some terribad ones. It is frustrating that I have low pen and do such low damage. It have issues spotting in it: the dam Hellcats, T67's and the turbo charged German 25 whatever TD are faster and get most of the spotting points. My second tier LT missions aren't going very well.

Bought the T-43 and I don't hate it; wish it had some more penn but it is fun to play and I am looking forward to the TVIII medium.

Almost at the E 100 TD; the JgdTiger is a monster if I'm not spotted; if spotted everything on the map is laying into me. Almost at 100k xp with it in a little over 100 games. The crew is on its second skill set and that is helping. They should be in good shape to transfer to the TX.

Working on my new computer build: found a neighbor who's kid is a computer major in college. He is helping me figure out what to order and will do the build for me. I'm hoping to have it in the near future. Once I have it I would like to try CW if there is room with what I have now and some other clan activities.

My son got his first TX yesterday: the T110E3, he loves it. I finally got to play my TX tanks last night with him. Hoping to get lucky enough to get in a grand battle. I have only been in once since coming back.

Yes; Sabaton has a bad wreck in Tunisa. They sent out pictures in their newsletter. Had to cancel some Polish shows but the N American tour is still a go!

My heavy metal musician with the Sabaton World of Tanks tour bus in March 2018.

Thanks again for all of the feedback; it is greatly appreciated!

Skip

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 am

I have 2 marks on my T-43.
I run it with the stubby 122 derp.
It's my "screw around" tank.
Great at same tier against the right targets.
Suffers when bottom tier - then I play support and late game exploit.