How to "git gud"?

Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
Forum rules
Noob (and not Noob) Stuff
Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
MacDaddyMatty

How to "git gud"?

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:14 am

- PATIENCE!
Do not chase damage.
Your hit-points are a resource.
Make good trades.

- Stay near cover.
A tank in the open is easily farmed.
Expose as little of your tank as possible, even when moving in a fast tank.

- Don't be alone.
A lone tank is a dead tank.
(I'm not saying rely on your teammates, but you have a better chance when grouped up)

- If you can't win the fight in front of you, find a better fight
You should avoid dying-in-place whenever you can.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

MacDaddyMatty

Re: How to "git gud"

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 am

How to "git gooder"?

- Understand the mechanics of detection/concealment:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65

- Learn to side-scrape, hull-down, wiggle
Bouncing shots = good!

MacDaddyMatty

Re: How to "git gud"?

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Fri May 04, 2018 10:22 am

- If you die, don't exit right away.

Pick the top fighter on your team - or someone in the same tank you have - and watch what he is doing.

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 pm

- Learn even more patience.

- Do at least your HP in damage every game.

_Goobz_

Post by _Goobz_ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:13 pm

MacDaddyMatty wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 pm
- Learn even more patience.

- Do at least your HP in damage every game.
Seems easy but I surprise myself how often I dont do this, esp. in tier 10 tanks.
So Im not happy with a game unless I get a fire for effect medal

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

CallandorsFire wrote:A few general rules:

1) Learn what the strengths and weaknesses of your tank are and play to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses. ie, if your tank has a strong turret, place yourself in spots where only your turret is exposed; if your tank has an accurate gun, try not to brawl with it if you don't have to

2) Learn to deal more damage than you receive when you shoot

2a) Shoot the enemy when they are distracted and not paying attention to you

2b) Shoot the enemy outside of his view range

2c) If your gun has more alpha than the enemy and you have a reasonable chance of penning, trade shots

3) Learn to position - getting shots into the sides of the enemy is generally better than shooting them head on. Making them face attacks from multiple directions is good for your team

4) Deal damage early - it affects the outcome of the battle more than dealing it late

SALT_BOT

Post by SALT_BOT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 am

focus on

- playing the strengths of your tank against the weakness of your opponent,
- making great trades,
- abusing detection,
- reading the Mini Map, and
- getting your tanks HP consistently.

ensure you

- have 100% crews above tier 3,
- 6th sense on your commander in all your tanks, but especially any LT above tier 4,
- focus your fire (instead of damaging several tanks, kill tanks!),

you WILL

- get MUCH better,
- influence the outcome, and
- enjoy the game.
DO NOT START SHIT with other players - salty douches get kicked from clan.
But, don't roll over either.
Know when to disengage. It's just not worth it.

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:24 am

dunniteowl wrote:Battle Mechanics -- Global Wiki
http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mec ... Visibility
These are the rules of the game, essentially. It is linked at Vision and Spotting, though you should get familiar with it all.

Crew -- Global Wiki
http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew
The only thing that improves continuously (other than YOU) is your Crew. Here is their proper care and feeding manual.

The game mechanics are often considered cheating to many players. The knowledge you gain from knowing how the game looks at you and all other players is crucial to understanding the WHY of all the HOW of ALL the Tips, Tricks and Techniques you will learn over time to improve your chances of success in the game.

Arthur C. Clarke once said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The game rules are complex. The game rules run on math most folks don't get in high school. It runs on math a lot of folks don't get in college. So, it qualifies, to most folks, as 'sufficiently advanced' as to be 'indistinguishable from magic' when it comes to knowing what's going on in the game. So, when they meet a situation they simply cannot understand, they call cheating. It's about ninety nine point nine nine nine eight or so that it might be you getting pawned by a better or lucky player. Learn from it.

Learn the Rules. Become a Magician of the Game!

2) With all this stuff comes a lot of stuff to remember! While you're mashing buttons, aiming-in, waiting for reload, checking your mini-map, angling your armor, getting hull down, avoiding arty, remaining unspotted, etc. it can be hard to stay focused on the most basic things that keep you in the game. So, from reading many, MANY forum posts before ever posting here and learning from others (who have really good WRs) I came to distill what I consider the Essential or Core concepts in this game from a playing perspective. In doing this, I came to the conclusion that I needed something to help me stay focused on the primary basics of play that would keep me active and playing, instead of a lump in the corner.

The Prioritization Mantra
Survive (if you do not survive, you cannot)
Do Damage (if you can't/don't do damage find another way to)
Help Your Team (if you can't/won't do this, you will have a harder time to)
Win? (which is never guaranteed)

This handy little mantra will help you to remember what you should be doing at any given time in the match. It is listed in order of priority as well, because if you can't do one above, you can't get to the next below in the list. If you are moving and take a hit, what do you do? Survive! Number One! Get cover, get out of the line of fire, survive!

See how easy that is? It really works and is easy to remember, because all you have to do is repeat to yourself, Survive, Do Damage, Help Your Team and nothing more. Haven't fired your stick in 30 seconds or longer? Move, because you are surviving, now you need to DO DAMAGE. It really is easy, effective and efficient at keeping your head where it should be while playing at all times under any circumstances.

The above is part of what I call my "Welcome Package" for new players. I think it is just as applicable for anyone who is sub 50% WR to read through and get well versed. These are the core mechanics of the game as far as you are concerned.

Would you play Monopoly if you didn't know the rules? No. You'd just be pushing pieces around and making stuff up as you go.

This game really isn't that much different. There's a lot of room to do things that not only do not promote you and your team's success -- there are a plethora of actions many take that actually result in hampering their team's chances to win. And surprise, surprise, the results are in -- there are VASTLY more people without a solid comprehension of how the game views them who think they know all they need to know about their:

Tanks
Crew
Maps
Opponents

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO
The Don't's:

1) Don't map spam ping. This is that super annoying thing that I did when I first started and I see others do it all the time. First of all, map pinging before the start of match is sheer idiocy unless you ping and type, "I'm going there to spot," or some such thing.

This is NOT everyone's first rodeo and you (no matter who you are) are not Erwin Rommel, George Patton or Bernie Montgomery, so there's no reason to inform everyone what's important on the map to you. I was told in less formal language and promptly re-evaluated my level of 'superior' knowledge sharing in chat.

Map Spam is annoying for two obvious reasons:

1] It clutters up the chat window and constantly highlights it, making it a distraction to the mind instead of an communications tool. It also eats up any other potentially valuable information from your other team mates. It's like the guy with his butt on the mic-key of his walkie-talkie, completely oblivious that he's the only sound ANYONE else can hear. This will NOT make you friends if you map spam.

2] Again, it creates a distraction

The sheer number of times someone can do this will make others want to TK that spammer. This sort of distraction actually causes problems for success -- don't be that guy that everyone else hates for helping lose a match by being too communicative. Considering WHO-Who-whoo is telling you that, you should really think that through.