Forum rules
Tech Stuff
Halp, mah 'puter is borked!
& look how big my SSD is!
skip2a

Computer Advice

Post by skip2a » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello all:

My 10 year old desktop that I had a friend build for me is on it's last legs (I ordered all the parts from Newegg and he assembled and loaded all of the software for me). It has Windows 7 which will no longer be supported after December.

The case is a decent gaming case from Newegg with lots of fans and ventilation openings and I installed a 600 power supply. It is taking longer and longer to start up and lag is pretty bad in game some nights. I have looked on line for a new tower but have no idea what I am looking for or how much I will have to spend.

Unfortunately I am not a computer guy and I am lucky that I can actually log into the game to play.

I found an IT fellow at work that will build one for me but I need to know what components to by in order to have a good gaming computer.

Is it ok to rebuild in the case that I have or should I just buy a new one? If I do what brand, where and what am I looking for as far as specs go?

My son has an Amazon special laptop that his mother bought him that will need replaced around Xmas; I will be looking for something new for him also. Should I just buy a new case and have the IT guy build me two using the same components?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Skip

pizzadudecook

Re: Computer Advice

Post by pizzadudecook » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 pm

This really depends on the price range you are willing to be in.

Hardcorpse

Post by Hardcorpse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 pm

I think it is better to have your friend decide how to match the components. I recommend asking your friend about the Samsung M.2 (2280) SSDs. They are super-fast and not all that expensive. I actually found better pricing for these on Amazon rather than at the usual computer stores. The other component that I really like is my BenQ gaming monitor.

The old case would work as long as it is compatible with the new motherboard and CPU cooler, however I would recommend getting a new power supply and case fans, and you may be able to simply buy a new case/power supply/fan package deal for the same or better price.

skip2a

Post by skip2a » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:45 am

He is not really a friend; just an IT fellow that is willing to assemble components for me and I will pay him for his time. He really isn't a source for information.

I am hoping to spend less than 1k for a computer to be honest I would like to spend less if possible. Now with my son needing one I will have double the cost.

I don't want to buy junk; my current one hasn't given me a single issue in over 10 years and it was around $600 to build.

Are there any "ready to go" out of the box ones out there that will work and will last? I don't need keyboard and such just the computer.

I am in desperate need to do something for myself sooner than later; starting to have lag issues and had to run all of my graphic settings on minimum.

Thanks,

Skip

Rubicite

Post by Rubicite » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Just now, I went to Amazon and typed in "gaming computer" and the vast majority of the ones that popped up were under $1000. You should probably figure out whether it's better to pay to have one built or to buy one already built.

Generally, the most expensive component will be your video card. Relatively recently, they've increased in amount by a significant margin (for reasons that you probably don't care about). If you can live without the latest and greatest video card, you can easily get under $1000.

A few years ago, I replaced most of the parts on my computer but kept the case and the 750W power supply. After putting everything together, it didn't work. I tested this, I tested that and eventually discovered that my old 750W power supply wasn't putting out that much anymore and once I replaced the power supply, it worked fine.

I'd recommend getting an SSD (Solid State Drive) although you can also get an HDD (Hard Disk Drive) for storage purposes. The SSD doesn't have spinning platters like a typical hard drive, therefore it's much faster. A common thing is to put your operating system (Windows 10, for example) and applications on the SSD, but store files on an HDD (I store my documents, spreadsheets, pictures, WoT replays, etc. on an HDD (my "D" drive).

I'd also recommend getting at least 16GB of RAM although more is better. This is also one of the more expensive parts of a computer so you can easily overspend here.

The processor can probably be one that's a couple of generations old. WoT already doesn't use what's available in modern processors (mostly because their largest player base doesn't have modern gaming computers). Some people favor Intel processors, some people favor AMD ... whatever.

More and more computers are being built with liquid cooling rather than air cooling. I don't know much about that but modern video cards and modern processors put out a LOT OF HEAT. Your old tower case might be beneficial since it might have lots of room for heat dissipation devices (cooling fans, heat sinks, and the like).

If you plan to keep your old monitors, you might need to buy special cables or converters that change the output from a modern video card to a signal that your old monitor uses. These special cables or converters are not expensive at all. Notice I used the word "monitors." I have two side-by-side monitors and it is SO NICE to have the game on one side and Stratsketch or TeamSpeak or whatever on the other side. When I get around to upgrading sometime in the future, I'm leaning towards three monitors with the game spanning two and my other stuff on the third.

Good luck.