Consumable/Equipment talk

Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
Forum rules
Noob (and not Noob) Stuff
Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
BulgeBuster

Consumable/Equipment talk

Post by BulgeBuster » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Starting this thread so we can share ideas on preparing our vehicles. But right now would like to know how many of you use food instead of auto fire extinguisher. I've watched many videos by the good players and pretty much all of them use food. But man I hate to burn. Most of my crews are only 1-3 skills and I'm not sure if it is worth it to switch to anti burn skills.

Any input on this would be appreciated. And also can get with me in ts to discuss.

I do tend to use food in my arty though I rarely play it. But burning isn't much of a concern in arty.

Rubicite

Re: Consumable/Equipment talk

Post by Rubicite » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:26 pm

For important battles (such as Clan Wars), I always use food instead of a fire extinguisher. However, whenever we get the next consumable sale, I'm planning to stock up on more food so I can use it more often. I failed to stock up at the last sale.

Also, I try to get Preventative Maintenance as the third perk and try to max out fire fighting as a third skill for everyone else

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:54 am

- Food in tier 10s for me. Most of those crews have some fire fighting skill.
- Auto fire extinguisher tier 4-9.
- Manual fire ext tier 1-3.

...except LTs which have a first aid kit, sm repair kit, lg repair kit.

If a tank can take a vert stab - that goes on.
Vents and rammer for fighters, although I hate being out-spotted, so optics are also big in my factoring.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

echo9835

Post by echo9835 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 pm

At high tiers, particularly in CW, view range is key, most tanks should have the maximum of 445 view range. This is really important for light tanks, medium tanks, fast heavies, and gun depression heavies. Some TDs like the Foch or 268 v4 can get maximum view range with optics and vents, while others like the Strv 103B can use binoculars effectively. Big gun TDs like the Jag and Deathstar might find a Gun laying drive useful, but they are the exception, not the rule. the gun rammer is absolutely needed on pretty much everything, and optics are a good choices. On tanks with 410 meters or more base view range, optics are not needed to reach maximum view range if you have both skills and vents.
As for food, it brings a lot to the table. the math is available on the Wiki, but its about 5% to DPM, view range, and over all dispersion values. It also kicks up your camo and ironically, your crews firefighting skill by 2.5%. Since it replaces your fire extinguisher and only prevents about 2.5% less fire damage from a full burn, using food on a tank with vulnerable fuel tanks is a big risk. Something like the 140 or the 103 B has frontal fuel tanks that are made of glass, so the food is only good until you start taking hits, then you're a bonfire waiting to happen.

BulgeBuster

Post by BulgeBuster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:00 am

Thanks for the help. I will continue to research this. perhaps I will test it in a few of the tanks I play a lot. I will have to check out which ones tend to burn easily. I know the Germans are known for this. If I am able to run clan wars. I will for sure use it, as well as prem. amo and Special equipment.

Any other tips are welcome.