Getting Frustrated

Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
Forum rules
Noob (and not Noob) Stuff
Basic and Advanced information and resources for getting better.
skip2a

Getting Frustrated

Post by skip2a » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 am

Hello all:

I have been playing since late July after taking a break for a few years. Just when I think I am getting back in the groove of the game and feel good about game play the bottom drops out and I have huge loosing streaks; I mean like 4 wins in 30 battles. I am not sure how to fix this?

I watch streamers and see guys like Quickie saying that one tank can make a difference. I have tried to go with this attitude and it just doesn't work for me. When over half of your team is dead within three or four minutes it really saps the enthusiasm out of me. My WN8 is stuck in the 843 range and my win percentage is 48.34. I can't figure out how to get either up into respectable ranges.

Several times over the past week I have found myself in 1 vs 4, 5 or 6 opponents and I just can't seem to overcome those odds. I have been grinding a light line but I do not play those tanks well at all. I love TD's but they are almost ineffective when there are clown cars in the game. I am grinding 2.5 Meta lines (not sure if the Brit X heavy SC is still in that class).

I platoon with my son a lot and we seem to be the last ones standing on a lot of the battles we are in. Is it piss poor class mixing on our part, playing bad tanks or just incredibly unlucky match making? His stats are much better than mine (Ctanker1001 - WN8 1090, 47.26 win %): am I bringing him down in MM and hurting his stats overall?

It sucks really: I love the historical aspect of the game but I just can't seem to get the dynamics of the game play down to win on a routine basis.

See ya,

Skip

MacDaddyMatty

Re: Getting Frustrated

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:03 am

Streaks happen and they suck.
My solution is radical changes each battle:
- change tiers (8, 5, 7, 4, 10, 2)
- change tank types (Fast Lt, Slow TD, MT, Fast HT, etc)
- run my pref match-making tanks.
- Take a 30 min break.

If that fails, I re-read Git Gud and Git Guder
viewforum.php?f=9
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 am

Also, I try to ignore win/loss, and only focus on my performance.
If I get at least my tanks HP in caused damage and XP, I'm pretty happy.
I can't hold 14 other dudes hands every battle.

echo9835

Post by echo9835 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Hey Skip, I understand your frustration, this game can be toxic and very frustrating at times, yet we all come back for more again and again. I have a few Ideas on how to help you overcome this.
1) find out why you love to play WoT. I know this seems obvious, but answering this can help you focus on specific parts of the game that you love.
2)Take a step back and play or do something else. When I get frustrated I tend to play worse, adding to said frustration. changing gears and either playing another game or doing something IRL can break that frustration for me, so it might for you too.
3)don't focus on your Win8. Win8 can create some really toxic play sessions and even more toxic people. Play for fun, not to raise win8. If you are having fun, you will play more and play better. Playing more gives you more practice and practice makes you a better player. Becoming a better player will raise your win8 as an added bonus.
4) if you want help growing as a player and we are both online, PM me. I'd be glad to help out either by platooning or reviewing your replays (good or bad).

skip2a

Post by skip2a » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry I did not respond sooner. I've been down with bronchitis and haven't checked the forums since last week.

Echo: I would love to platoon a little to try to get better. My son is a very good player but it is hard playing with my son all of the time; it's a weird dynamic when I swear at him for not supporting me, lmao.

I've improved since coming back online back in July (I think) but the curve seems to be very steep and the damn clown cars are a nightmare.

In regards to your post:
1) find out why you love to play WoT. I know this seems obvious, but answering this can help you focus on specific parts of the game that you love. - I love tanks and love history. WoT lets me enjoy the different historical vehicles that I have seen or want to see during my lifetime. I remember the absolute glory of the hundreds (it seemed like that) of tanks at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds when my brother was stationed there. I climbed on everything and got in any compartment that was accessible for a exploring pre-teen. My forum icon is a picture of my son and me in a PzIV that fought in three different conflicts in its military career. We spent several hours in that vehicle on a special day at the AAF Tank Museum in Danville Va.

2)Take a step back and play or do something else. When I get frustrated I tend to play worse, adding to said frustration. changing gears and either playing another game or doing something IRL can break that frustration for me, so it might for you too. - I do this and it does help but trying your best and still getting rolled over and over just gets old quick.

3)don't focus on your Win8. Win8 can create some really toxic play sessions and even more toxic people. Play for fun, not to raise win8. If you are having fun, you will play more and play better. Playing more gives you more practice and practice makes you a better player. Becoming a better player will raise your win8 as an added bonus. - I really enjoy tournaments and when I played in CW's and really want to do that again. I'm very competitive in life and basically try my best at everything I do. I'm just stuck trying to get past a few numbers on the screen.

4) if you want help growing as a player and we are both online, PM me. I'd be glad to help out either by platooning or reviewing your replays (good or bad). - This sounds like a great idea. I am usually in the solo channel in TS grinding equipment or platooning with my boy.

See ya,

Skip

Desert_Fox_1969

Post by Desert_Fox_1969 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm

skip.....if you see me in TS in the platoon channel hit me up. You can yell all you want at me........:)

skip2a

Post by skip2a » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Got it DF!

Guess I don't have to watch my language either :D

As always; greatly appreciated man!

Skip

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 am

skip2a wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm
Guess I don't have to watch my language either :D
heh.