Detailed WoT Guide

News and info.
WoT and Clan
Forum rules
Hey douchebags! (aka News & Information)
WoT and Clan

How interested are you?

Not Interested (That's dumb)
11%
Somewhat Interested (It can be useful)
No votes
Interested (Yeah I would love something like that)
22%
Very Interested (That's a great idea and I'll help)
67%

Total votes: 9

dman0421a

Detailed WoT Guide

Post by dman0421a » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:30 am

We know of and have plenty of guides for new players. What I want to make is a very detailed guide for experienced players to learn even more. This means extremely detailed map info, such as strat sketches and hours of content from informational creators like LemmingRush and TruVoodoo, as well as how to play each tank in various situations and on each map. Before I go about this, I need to know if there is interest in such an idea, as well as if anyone is willing to help. Obviously it is a huge project idea, but in time I feel like we could have a place where a player can go to learn several thousands of battles worth of information in a few hours. Especially since a lot of our work is already done for us by tanks.gg and similar sites.

Rubicite

Re: Detailed WoT Guide

Post by Rubicite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm willing to help.

However, I think human nature is to ignore this type of material. So much helpful information is already available but most people simply ignore it. I've been involved in similar types of repositories (whether written for a successor or simply to help people) and, in general, most people won't read them.

Examples off the top of my head of readily available information that many (most) people don't get concerned about:
- What is the overmatch rule?
- What are the spotting points on your tank? What about the points on your tank that trigger getting spotted?
- Is there any impact to shooting an enemy gun barrel?
- What is the camouflage 15 meter rule?
- How does an HE round deal damage?
- What is the difference between spotting range and view range?
- What is the impact of view range in excess of 445 meters?
- In top-down mode, if you see an enemy artillery tracer, where does the tracer originate?
- How does a HEAT round penetrate after detonation?

I realize that I'm sounding negative about the idea, but I am willing to help. I feel the more that people get exposed to relevant information, the more it will eventually soak in.

dman0421a

Post by dman0421a » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, but those are all basic game mechanics and if you dont know those you are "playing for fun". What I want is a place where even really good players can go to learn some minor details. A good example is that when learning a tank or planning to buy one, I digest hours of information and videos to learn every detail about it first. I want that type of information to be organized for someone who is trying to get better at the game like myself.

Even if I only start by doing a few meta tanks and a couple maps, it can help people a lot. Or it would have helped me at least. Being able to go to a map page and learn about micro positions saves thousands of battles of mistakes. I'm not even close to learning all the lines in some of the city fights. Some of those fights have pixel perfect shots through them that have caught me off guard as well. Things you wouldnt know unless you made that mistake before.

Imagine if every time someone learned something in the game, they added it to the site for other people to not make the same mistake? Even people with 50k games learn something new every once in a while, so for a player to instantly be able to learn 50k battles worth of mistakes is the end goal.

echo9835

Post by echo9835 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Hey Dman, I would love to help. PM me when you want to get started.

MacDaddyMatty

Post by MacDaddyMatty » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:26 am

Grab and use whatever you can from viewforum.php?f=9
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

dman0421a

Post by dman0421a » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 am

Okay so I am going to start getting things ready to work on this. I am awaiting permission from several CC's and when i get a quality website hosting service I will post a link here so it can be edited. My goal is to slowly expand it as we have time, and when you learn something about the map you should be able to edit the site to add it.

dman0421a

Post by dman0421a » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:42 pm

To everyone who has shown support for this idea thank you. I have written permission from both TRUvoodoo and lemmingrush to use their content. Between the two of them we should have enough to start. If you were one of the people interested in assisting in this project, or know someone who might be interested, join my discord server at https://discord.gg/PGubRy9

dman0421a

Post by dman0421a » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:42 pm

To everyone who has shown support for this idea thank you. I have written permission from both TRUvoodoo and lemmingrush to use their content. Between the two of them we should have enough to start. If you were one of the people interested in assisting in this project, or know someone who might be interested, join my discord server at https://discord.gg/PGubRy9